The good news is root canal is pain-free, it saves your tooth from extraction and it can be completed in just ONE single appointment of 60-90 mins duration.
Root canal treatment (endodontics) is needed when the nerve or pulp inside your tooth becomes infected through decay or damaged by an injury or trauma to your mouth. This infection may spread through the root canal system and could eventually lead to an abscess, causing pain & swelling/ tenderness in the gum. If root canal treatment is not carried out, the tooth may need to be extracted and it will darken in colour.
The root canal process
- First, numbing spray is applied to your gum, followed by local anaesthetic will be administered to ensure no discomfort is felt during treatment
- The root canal system will be thoroughly cleaned out to remove all infection and pulp.You wont feel anything as the tooth will be totally numb. Trust us!
- The root canal system is then filled and sealed temporarily with a crown or a filling is placed. The whole process usually takes 60-90 mins and is completed in a SINGLE visit!
Advantages of Root Canal
- Preservation of your own tooth , meaning you can avoid having an extraction and being left with a gap in your mouth.
- Prevention of infection spreading any further.
- Restoration of tooth to its natural look and feel and no more pain.
Disadvantages of Root Canal
- Your tooth can be brittle afterwards, and may require a crown( cap) to protect it long term
- A tooth that has undergone root canal can darken or go more yellow. If they discolour you will need to bleach the tooth (known as internal whitening)